The following sections outline which audio formats are supported by BrightSign players.
- AAC audio in H.264 Video (CBR only; no VBR support)
- MP3 audio files as stereo or mono at a 48kHz or 44kHz sampling rate (MPEG1/MPE2 Video), with a maximum bit depth of 16 bits, and a maximum bitrate of 320kBit/s.
- WAV audio files as stereo or mono. We recommend a maximum bit depth of 24 bits at a sampling rate of 96kHz, 48kHz, or 44.1kHz (except for the HDx20, HDx10, and AU320, which may require a lower bit depth).
- M4A and AAC audio files (requires BrightAuthor version 4.3.0.x or later; not supported in BSN presentations)
- Dolby Digital (AC3) 5.1 audio in an MPEG2 or MOV video (pass-through over HDMI or TOSLINK w/ expander). Other multichannel audio formats may work as pass-through, but they are not officially supported.
- DTS audio in the TS (transport stream) video container as pass-through. DTS in other containers (MOV, MP4, MKV) are not currently supported. Note that the XTx44 currently does not support DTS audio in any container.
Important: All tracks must have the same sampling rate, or you must enable the Mixed Audio feature, if you plan to output multiple audio tracks simultaneously (from either audio or video files).
- FLAC codec (with the .ogg file format)
- Opus codec
XTx43, XDx33/32, HDx24/23/22, LS424/423, 4Kx42:
- FLAC and Vorbis codecs (with the .ogg file format)
- MP3 audio files as stereo or mono at a 48kHz sampling rate
- MP3 audio files as stereo or mono at a 48kHz or 44kHz sampling rate
- WAV audio files as stereo or mono
- Dolby Digital (AC3) 5.1 audio in a video file (decode or raw pass-through)
- PCM Audio in a video file (LPCM)
- To play videos with surround sound, you must encode an AC3 audio layer along with an MPEG2 video layer.
- BrightSign players do not decode surround sound (AC3) audio; but the audio can be passed through to a decoding device over HDMI of SPDIF.
- If you are using Adobe Premiere to encode the video with the SurCode codec for audio, ensure that SurCode is in BluRay mode, not Dolby Digital mode.
- BrightAuthor version 8.0.73 and later fix a bug that was causing AC3 audio to play back louder than expected.