Before you can use BrightAuthor with the BrightSign Network, you must first configure BrightAuthor to communicate with the BrightSign Network servers. After successful configuration, you can deliver content to your networked players by opening BrightAuthor, logging into the BrightSign Network, uploading presentations, and then publishing to Groups. For more details on publishing with the BrightSign Network, see the latest BrightAuthor User Guide.
In order to log in to the BrightSign Network and upload files, BrightAuthor must be able to communicate with the following server and use the listed ports:
1) https://services.brightsignnetwork.com:443 (primary), http://services.brightsignnetwork.com:80 (alternative) - used for general BrightAuthor operations;
2) http://fileservices.brightsignnetwork.com:9990 - used for file uploads;
3) http://fileservices.brightsignnetwork.com:9991 - used for file uploads;
4) http://fileservices.brightsignnetwork.com:9992 - used for file uploads;
5) http://fileservices.brightsignnetwork.com:9993 - used for file uploads;
6) http://fileservices.brightsignnetwork.com:9994 - used for file uploads;
7) http://bsnm.s3.amazonaws.com:80 - the main repository for user-generated content and some system directories for BrightAuthor.
You can also upload content to your BSN account using the WebUI. See this FAQ for the addresses/ports that are required to upload using the Web UI.
NOTE: Avast antivirus may cause problems with uploads to BSN. To workaround, right click on Avast icon in the toolbar > Avast shields control > Disable for some time, then repeat presentation upload.
Using Port 80
Some customers have an environment (firewalls or other security policies) that does not allow them to use non-standard ports 9990-9994 for file uploads. In some cases, things can be working then spontaneously stop working due to some upstream change to firewall or network security policies. Modern networking equipment often auto-updates without user intervention.
Therefore, we have implemented a server-side support for uploading files with multiple threads, but on the same port 80, from BrightAuthor. To use this option, you need to change the BrightAuthor configuration file. Please note, applying new settings you may result in slightly slower upload speeds.
Complete the following steps to configure BrightAuthor to point to our servers using port 80:
- Close BrightAuthor.
- Find the BrightAuthor.exe.config file in the following location:
- Windows Vista/7 path: C:\Program Files\BrightSign\BrightAuthor
- Windows Vista/7 64-bit path: C:\Program Files (x86)\BrightSign\BrightAuthor
- Open the BrightAuthor.exe.config file in Notepad, search for this line: add key="UploadFileService1" and change its value from the "http://fileservices.brightsignnetwork.com:9990/UploadFileService.svc" to "http://fileservices.brightsignnetwork.com/UploadFileService.svc". Delete 4 strings below this line, which correspond to the "UploadFileService2-5".
- Save the changes and close Notepad. If you can't save the changes, then copy the BrightAuthor.exe.config file to your desktop, modify the file, save it, and place it back to the BrightAuthor folder.
Now BrightAuthor will upload presentations through the 80 port.
Attached is an example of the 1-port upload config file for BrightAuthor version 184.108.40.206.