Last Updated: March 10, 2015
This FAQ covers how to use a value from an RSS feed to trigger playback of a specific media item on a BrightSign player.
1. Create an RSS feed with the necessary trigger variables/values. The following screenshot uses the BSN Live Data feed feature as an example, but you can also use your own hosted RSS feed.
2. Add the RSS feed that contains your trigger value to the Data Feeds list of the presentation: In BrightAuthor, navigate to File > Presentation properties > Data Feeds > Add Data Feed.
3. Under Feed specification, select Live Data Feed and select the feed created in BSN. If you're using a privately hosted RSS feed, select Url and enter the URL of the feed.
Note: The Live Data Feed option is only available if you’re logged in to your BrightSign Network Account in BrightAuthor.
4. Navigate to Presentation Properties > Variables. Click Add Variable and enter the User Variable Name and a Default Value. The variable Name should be identical to the Title given to the item in your Live Data or RSS feed (in the example presentation, this Title is "Trigger Emergency").
5. Under Type, select Networked and choose the Data Feed you just added to the presentation. Click the Validate button to ensure that the User Variable name matches that of the Live Data or RSS feed.
Note: In the example presentation, the Default Value is “yes” because setting this variable to “no” will cause the script to switch to a different presentation.
6. Add an Audio Only zone as a placeholder for your Event Handler states.
7. Select the "EventHandler" (Audio Only) zone and switch the Playlist type to the interactive.
8. Under Media Library, click the Other tab. Drag and drop two Event Handler states into the "EventHandler" zone.
9. Name the first Event Handler state “Checking trigger var” and the second state “var No”.
10. Drag and drop a Timeout event (from the Events tab) onto the first Event Handler state ("Checking trigger var").
11. In the Timeout Event window, select Return to prior state.
12. While in the Timeout Event window for the first Event Handler, go to the Advanced > Set Conditional Targets and click Add Conditional Target.
13. Select the trigger variable (“Trigger Emergency” in the example presentation) and set it to Equals "no".
14. Select Transition to new state and specify the second Event Handler as the new state (“Var no” in the example presentation).
15. Drag and drop a Timeout event onto the second Event Handler state ("var No").
16. Select Transition to new state and choose the first Event Handler state ("Checking trigger var").
17. Navigate to the Advanced tab of the second Timeout event (attached to "var No").
18. Click Add Command. Under Command, select Other, and under Command Parameters, select Switch to Presentation > Specify Presentation. Select the presentation name that you wish to switch to. In the example, the script will switch to the Highway_Agency_standard_messages presentation.
Using this example, you can switch to a different presentation depending on the value of the “Trigger Emergency” item found in the “Emergency Trigger” Live Data Feed.
See the attached "Motorway Signage" demo, which uses the features mentioned above.
The following are direct URLs for the Live Data Feesd used in the attached demo: