Note: Methods for channel scanning and tuning were improved significantly with the release of BrightAuthor version 126.96.36.199. The following instructions apply to BrightAuthor versions 188.8.131.52 or later.
Before you can display video from the RF Input, you must first perform a channel scan on the player while it is connected to the cable source: You can do this prior to publishing the presentation (via the RF Channel Scan interface) or during the presentation (via the Tuner Scan state).
RF Channel Scan
- In BrightAuthor, navigate to Tools > Setup RF Channel Scan.
- Channel Map: Select QAM, ATSC, or ATSC and QAM (consult your service provider for details).
- Modulation Type: Select QAM 64, QAM 256, or QAM 64 and QAM 256 (consult your service provider for details).
- First RF Channel (optional): You can choose to limit the range of the channel scan by selecting the first channel to scan.
- Last RF Channel (optional): You can choose to limit the range of the channel scan by selecting the last channel to scan.
Note: Each channel takes approximately one second to scan. Specifying upper and lower limits will reduce the amount of time it takes to perform the scan. You should only use these two options if you are familiar with the channel map of the cable source.
- Click OK and write the channel scan settings to an SD card or USB drive.
- Power off your BrightSign XD1230.
- Insert the SD card or USB drive into the player and power it back on. The progress of the channel scan will be displayed on screen.
- Once the scan is complete, the channel settings will be written to the internal registry of the player (i.e. the non-removable storage). You can now use the RF In state to tune to any virtual channels that were detected in the channel scan.
If you are connecting multiple XD1230 players to the same cable source, you can transfer the results of a channel scan from one player to another during the setup process.
- After performing a channel scan, reinsert the SD card or USB drive into your PC.
- In BrightAuthor, navigate to Tools > Setup BrightSign Unit.
- Specify device settings as desired.
- Under RF Channel Scan Data (optional), click browse and locate the “ScannedChannels.xml” file in the SD card or USB drive directory. Click Open.
- Publish the setup files to the player. It will now have the same channel configuration as the XD1230 that performed the original channel scan.
You can use a Tuner Scan state (accessible by selecting the Other tab in the Media Library) to perform a channel scan of the cable source while a presentation is running. The parameters are the same as the RF Channel Scan tool above.
Use a Media End event to exit this state once the channel scan concludes. If you use another interactive event (e.g. Serial Input, UDP Input) to exit the Tuner Scan state before it concludes, the scan will be canceled and the results will not be written to the player.