Last Updated: October 28, 2015
There are several possible causes for a red status after a player downloads a scheduled project from your BrightSign Network account. Causes can include an empty schedule, out of date firmware, corrupt content, unsupported media, or a partially failed download. It may be necessary to force a unit into Recovery Mode to get it working properly again. See the Forcing Recovery directions at the bottom of this FAQ for more details.
- Verify that the player is running firmware that is compatible with your BrightAuthor version.
- If you've updated to a new version of BrightAuthor recently or are publishing to a a new player, your player may require a firmware update to support new BrightAuthor presentations.
- Solution: Force recovery (see below) after publishing an updated project with a firmware update attached. To attach a firmware update to a presentation, click the Specify Firmware Update button in the Publish > BrightSign Network menu and select the production or beta version of firmware.
- With older BrightAuthor versions, images set to 3 seconds or less can cause a red status.
- Under Edit > Preferences, you can set the default Image timer to greater than 3 seconds.
- You can edit individual image timers for states in your BrightAuthor playlist.
- Solution: Enable recovery after publishing the updated project.
- Corrupt media can cause the player to continuously reboot before its normal call-in period.
- Solution: Enable recovery after uploading the updated project.
- Occasionally, the player may fail to download the current-sync.xml file after the schedule has been updated.
- Try uploading the BrightAuthor project to BSN again and republishing it.
- If that fails, rename the project, upload it, and then publish it again.
- Check also if the subscription of the player has expired, leaving it in a suspended status.
- If any files from the last download session failed to download successfully, the unit's status will change to red.
- Navigate to Manage > Status, right-click the player, and select Download Progress. This will display the current status of content downloads for the player.
- Remove the files from the project and upload the project to BSN again.
- Upload problem files again to BSN if those files fail to download repeatedly.
- Publish an updated BrightAuthor project (including a firmware update if needed).
- In BrightAuthor, navigate to the Tools > Advanced menu.
- Click the Control tab.
- Paste or type in the serial number of the player. This number can be found by navigating to Manage > Status, right-clicking the player, and selecting Info--the serial number is listed in the Unit ID field.
- In the Action dropdown menu, select Recovery - reformat or Recovery - don't reformat.
- Click Add Action.
- Reboot the player:
- Detach and reattach the power cable.
- Use the Reboot command if you have the Diagnostic server enabled.
- Wait for the unit to restart if it's in a reboot loop.