Last Updated: March 21, 2017
Note: Local File Networking supports a maximum of 10 players on a local network. Exceeding this recommended number may cause unreliable behavior when publishing to players. For larger deployments, we recommend using the Simple File Network or BrightSign Network publishing methods instead.
Note: Local File Networking is not supported on Windows XP.
By default, BrightAuthor uses Bonjour to automatically discover BrightSign players on the local network. If either Bonjour or BrightAuthor is blocked by your firewall software, then discovery won’t work. Bonjour is sometimes listed as "mdnsResponder" and uses UDP port 5353. It's also possible this is just a temporary issue; the list often takes a few seconds to refresh after after you select the Publish > Local File Network or Manage > Local Network tabs.
- Verify that you are using the latest production version of BrightAuthor software and player firmware (That your player suppports) available on the Downloads page.
- Verify that the SD card is inserted into the player and has not been manually edited since Device Setup. There is a program installed on the card during device setup that listens to publish requests from BrightAuthor.
- If you run setup, then remove the sd card and publish a local presentation to it, you won't be able to add the player to BrightAuthor.
- Perform the Device Setup process again.
- Verify that you don’t have an active VPN connection. Local File Networking is only supported on the same subnet.
- Use the BSN Connectivity Checker (available on the Developer Resources page) to determine whether your firewall software is blocking connectivity between BrightAuthor and the player.
- Disable proxy settings in Internet Explorer.
- Hit the refresh button on the Publish > Local File Network or Manage > Local Network tab.
- Leave the Publish or Manage tab, then return.
- Add the player manually using the player IP address.
Notes: Some users have reported that antivirus software that includes network components can block Bonjour (e.g., Kaspersky antivirus). Try temporarily disabling antivirus software or adding brightauthor as a trusted application.
Adding Unit Manually
If automatic discovery isn't working, try adding the unit manually. In BrightAuthor, navigate to Publish > Local File Network, click the Add icon under Publish, and enter the IP address of the player.