This FAQ covers how to use a value from an RSS feed to trigger playback of a specific media item on a BrightSign player.
1. Create an RSS feed with the necessary trigger variables/values in BrightAuthor:connected by navigating to Content > New Component > Live Data Feed. You can also use your own hosted RSS feed.
Note: The Live Data Feed option is only available if you’re logged in to your BrightSign account in BrightAuthor:connected.
2. Navigate to Presentation Settings > Variables. Click Add Variable and enter the Variable Name and a Default Value. The Variable Name should be identical to the Title given to the item in your Live Data or RSS feed (in the example presentation, this Title is "Trigger Emergency").
3. Under Type, select Networked and select Live Data Feed and choose the feed to add it to the presentation. If you're using a privately hosted RSS feed, select URL, and enter the URL of the private feed.
Note: In the example presentation, the Default Value is “yes” because setting this variable to “no” will cause the script to switch to a different presentation.
4. Add an Audio Only zone as a placeholder for the Event Handler states.
5. Select the "EventHandler" (Audio Only) zone and switch it to the Interactive.
6. Under Widgets, drag and drop two Event Handler states into the "EventHandler" zone.
7. Name the first Event Handler state “Checking trigger var” and the second state “var No”.
8. Drag and drop a Timeout event (from Events) onto the first Event Handler state ("Checking trigger var").
9. In Event Properties, select Return to prior state.
10. While in Event Properties of the first Event Handler state, go to the Advanced and click Add Conditional Target.
11. Select the trigger variable (“Trigger Emergency” in the example presentation) and set it to Equals "no".
12. Select Transition to new state and specify the second Event Handler as the new state (“Var no” in the example presentation).
13. Drag and drop a Timeout event onto the second Event Handler state ("var No").
14. Select Transition to new state and choose the first Event Handler state ("Checking trigger var").
15. Navigate to the Advanced tab of the second Timeout event (attached to "var No").
16. Click Add Command. Under Command, select Other, and under Command Parameters, select Switch to Presentation > Specify Presentation. Select the presentation name that you wish to switch to. In the example, the script will switch to the Highway_Agency_standard_messages presentation.
Using this example, you can switch to a different presentation depending on the value of the “Trigger Emergency” item found in the “Emergency Trigger” Live Data Feed.
The following are direct URLs for the Live Data Feeds used in the attached demo: