0

New line?



Is it safe to assume that this is not the new product in the PhotoBridge line that RokuAnthony suggested (in [u]this thread[/u]) would be released in late summer? If so, can we still expect a new PhotoBridge model soon?

TheEndless

15 comments

  • 0
    Avatar
    fizze
  • 0
    Avatar
    andy



    The PNX1500 chipset it uses supports more video formats, which is a plus.  



    PNX 1500 info: 21136666



    It has keyboard support too, and is meant for Kiosks.  Now all it needs is VNCSix and we've got a silent $300 HD thin client for the kitchen or den.



    However, it doesn't appear to have a MIPS CPU and the API is new and incompatible.  However, moving to an interface-based API will definitely help the "you must rebuild 3rd-party apps with each firmware release" problem that the PhotoBridge has.  



    It doesn't appear to be running Linux, instead a real-time OS from Philips.  Hackability seems lower than for the PB.



    Perhaps most importantly, though, it has an external power supply!  That is easy and cheap to replace should it ever give out.



    Very interesting, hopefully other variations on the PhotoBridge emerge that are targeted more at the consumer market.

  • 0
    Avatar
    TheEndless


    "fizze" wrote:

    http://rokulabs.com/digital_brightsign.php

    *cough*

    I read all of that before posting.  I was specifically asking if this is what RokuAnthony was talking about when he said:

    "RokuAnthony" wrote:

    We have not discontinued the PhotoBridge line of products. We are working on new PhotoBridge models. We have not officially announced these yet and have not committed to any particular release date. That said, it is likely that the first product from this development effort will launch in late summer.


    The BrightSign is obviously not a consumer level device, so it doesn't really address the concerns of the majority of the people (active PhotoBridge forum members) that statement was directed to.  Ultimately, I'm asking if we can still expect to see a new model (in the near future) that can/will take the place of the HD1000 currently in my home entertainment system.



    TheEndless
  • 0
    Avatar
    RokuAnthony


    Hi Endless,



    Yes, this is the product I was referring to in the post you reference.  It is the beginning of a line of products based on the Philips Nexperia chips that are using our new RO based SDK.   We discovered that there were different markets buying the PhotoBridge.  Our goal is to target them with more specific products.    One was "Digital Sign", for which BrightSign is targeted.  Another is “consumer†which we also hope to have a more targeted product as well, but I can't give you a date yet.   It won’t be this year.   That said, I think customer like your self will actually prefer the BrightSign line.



    Based on its price and extendibility, there is no reason BrightSign can't be used as  consumer product like you image.  We are targeting a major software update for Q1 2007 (target, not a promise) that would add the networking and other APIs needed to do everything I imagine you are envisioning.  Then there is the issue of consumer-user applications.  The Q1 ’07 SDK should have what is needed for this.   Certainly 3rd parties can create them, and we haven’t decided yet if Roku will.   The BrightSign does have much more features not yet exposed, such as MPEG4, H.264 video formats, and more that will be exposed via new APIs and features.





    regards,

    anthony
  • 0
    Avatar
    RokuAnthony


    All, see the announcement in this forum on how to get a BrightSign for $99, if you are a developer.



    anthony
  • 0
    Avatar
    TheEndless


    Thanks for the response, Anthony!



    "RokuAnthony" wrote:

    That said, I think customer like your self will actually prefer the BrightSign line.

    Based on its price and extendibility, there is no reason BrightSign can't be used as  consumer product like you image.

    If only it didn't look like a networking appliance.  Are there any plans to offer it in a different color/case/form factor?  I don't think I could convince my wife that a bright blue box with multiple flashing activity lights on the front will look good on the rack with the rest of our components... <!-- s;) --><img src="{SMILIES_PATH}/icon_wink.gif" alt=";)" title="Wink" /><!-- s;) -->

    "RokuAnthony" wrote:

    The BrightSign does have much more features not yet exposed, such as MPEG4, H.264 video formats, and more that will be exposed via new APIs and features.


    Now that's exciting to hear!



    TheEndless
  • 0
    Avatar
    RAB


    "RokuAnthony" wrote:

    Hi Endless,



    Yes, this is the product I was referring to in the post you reference.  It is the beginning of a line of products based on the Philips Nexperia chips that are using our new RO based SDK.   We discovered that there were different markets buying the PhotoBridge.  Our goal is to target them with more specific products.    One was "Digital Sign", for which BrightSign is targeted.  Another is “consumer†which we also hope to have a more targeted product as well, but I can't give you a date yet.   It won’t be this year.   That said, I think customer like your self will actually prefer the BrightSign line.



    Based on its price and extendibility, there is no reason BrightSign can't be used as  consumer product like you image.  We are targeting a major software update for Q1 2007 (target, not a promise) that would add the networking and other APIs needed to do everything I imagine you are envisioning.  Then there is the issue of consumer-user applications.  The Q1 ’07 SDK should have what is needed for this.   Certainly 3rd parties can create them, and we haven’t decided yet if Roku will.   The BrightSign does have much more features not yet exposed, such as MPEG4, H.264 video formats, and more that will be exposed via new APIs and features.





    regards,

    anthony






    A new product family and  broad strategy explains it all.  Targetting the commercial market first seems very smart.  My guess is this is a horse, consumers will be able to ride for a long time.  3P developers will have a substantial base to stand on.  Great!
  • 0
    Avatar
    RokuMike


    FWIW, it's purple, not blue. <!-- s;) --><img src="{SMILIES_PATH}/icon_wink.gif" alt=";)" title="Wink" /><!-- s;) -->
  • 0
    Avatar
    dgburns


    "TheEndless" wrote:

    "RokuAnthony" wrote:

    The BrightSign does have much more features not yet exposed, such as MPEG4, H.264 video formats, and more that will be exposed via new APIs and features.


    Now that's exciting to hear!



    Endless... Indeed!  Perhaps an MPlay-like app with native MPEG4?!?!!!



    Roku... PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE when you enable the network port, include native support for both SMB and NFS!  NFS is so much more efficient across the board, especially when dealing with REALLY BIG shares (I have 2+ TB currently).
  • 0
    Avatar
    dj7675


    Still a bit unclear about the capabilities of the brightsign....can it or will it be able to do HD video over a network?

    Or is there a new, not yet named Roku consumer device scheduled for early next year?



    Thanks



    Darin
  • 0
    Avatar
    TheEndless


    "dj7675" wrote:

    Still a bit unclear about the capabilities of the brightsign....can it or will it be able to do HD video over a network?
    Or is there a new, not yet named Roku consumer device scheduled for early next year?

    Thanks

    Darin


    As I understand it... the current HD600 version doesn't do HD video at all and never will (the hardware doesn't support it?).  Anthony hinted that future products in the BrightSign line will, but no indications as to when those will be available.



    TheEndless
  • 0
    Avatar
    dj7675


    Thanks for that info. It would sure be nice to have a bit more clarity on upcoming consumer model that is capable of HD playback.  Is this model the one that is supposed to be Q1 of 2007?



    Darin
  • 0
    Avatar
    dgburns


    "dj7675" wrote:

    It would sure be nice to have a bit more clarity


    Not really trying to be a basher, but honestly, with the history, would you believe them?



    (/me expecting this post to be censored out...)
  • 0
    Avatar
    RokuAnthony


    Hi dj7675,



    We have not annouced an HD consumer model.  We are investigating it, but beyond that, it would be premature to promise anything.



    regards,

    anthony
  • 0
    Avatar
    dj7675


    Thanks for your reply. Hopefully there will be a consumer model in the future. The current Brightsign does not do HD video, does it? Will there be other Brightsign models that are able to play HD Video over a network?



    Thanks again.



    Darin
Please sign in to leave a comment.