I have a few HD1024 and HS144's that I can't figure out how to get SFN working to be successful.
Yes, I have spent about 20 hours looking at brightsign docs, video, guides and troubleshooting. I can almost recite them by heart.
I have booted with a Blank microSD card.
All the units have connect to the internet and pulled down v8.0.119
Activation screen shows the 6 digit code.
I fire up BrightAuthor Connected and use the activate units feature successfully.
Units are activated. Using BA Connected I upgrade the software to version 8.0.146. No issues, units reboot showing Local File networking setup is complete.
All units are online(green check mark)
Using BA Connected I can publish my presentation to any or all of the local units, they reboot just fine and start to play my content. I can then change and publish different presentations to them with no issues.
I want to move them to offsite locations, but CANNOT get SFN to work properly.
They all just hang up on the "Simple File Networking Setup is in progress..."
screen. 2 hours, 12hours, 24 hours, 48 hours goes by and no change.
So I can only guess 3 issues.....one or more of these maybe?
1) configured wrong (strong possibility)
2) Webserver not configured properly for mime-types (I can't change this) or it is somehow inaccessible.
3) Local network (using eero's) is blocking downloads (it's happened before with other embedded systems like Tivo)
I have a few/many questions that the old outdated docs don't seem to address properly(the answer seems to be, if one thing doesn't work try the other thing???)
1) In the SFN config do we need the trailing slash or not?
2) Can anyone that now knows this link above see if you can pull down my presentation and tell me do we need the trailing slash or not and is my server serving the files correctly. (Don't worry, I'll kill the link after this is resolved)(it's a Covid-19 demo from brightsign downloads)
3) Why doesn't dropbox work for this? Seems simple enough with a shared folder. Once again the outdated docs give answers both ways. Either it will or it won't, in my case it doesn't but having such lame docs doesn't inspire confidence in my setup files either. Too many multiple possibilities for errors, when I continually see contradictions.
4) Why doesn't a simple FTP download initiated by the player work? (ftp://www.layton.org/bs) (with name and password properly setup in those fields
I can logon via browser with the ftp url above and the proper credentials...why not the player?
I can publish my presentation to my webserver via FTP with BA connected just fine, so the whole binary/auto/ascii issues shouldn't be the problem.
5) Is the player when it eventually connects looking for the file, "current-sync.xml" like all the docs say it is? In my case all I see is a file called "current-sync.json"
I can not try the straight IP address of the server as it is a windows server serving multiple domains. (network solutions hosting)
6) To defeat the issue above, Can I use the "specify Hostname" feature under network options and if so, what's the syntax for that? (docs only mention google) (and again claims that it both works and doesn't work it other posts)
7) does anyone have a WORKING demo hosted on a webserver someplace that I can try to get my players to run as a test for my config?
Thanks in advance for any help anyone can give me.